Pages

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Memorial Day

We spent Memorial Day at the cemetery this year.  A group of us met up at David’s graveside to talk about memories and things we miss about him. 
 
I tried recording what mom and dad had to say, but my video didn’t turn out so great-so I’ll transcribe. 

 Mom shared this poem by Mary Frye:

Do not stand at my grave and weep,

I am not there; I do not sleep.

I am a thousand winds that blow,

I am the diamond glints on snow,

I am the sun on ripened grain,

I am the gentle autumn rain.

When you awaken in the morning’s hush

I am the swift uplifting rush

Of quiet birds in circling flight.

I am the soft star-shine at night.

So do not think of me as gone,

I am with you still, each new dawn.
 

Dad shared this:

“Last week Vice President Joe Biden gave a speech at a memorial service for veterans.  He talked about the loss of his wife and daughter in a car accident in December 1972. 

‘Biden urged the survivors to have hope. “It can and will get better. There will come a day, I promise, when your thoughts of your son or daughter or husband or wife will bring a smile to your face before it brings a tear.’ So I have hope.”





Afterwards we went to visit Grandma Bodell’s grave and then to Bodell Construction to have KFC and train rides.  It was good to be together as we remember David and Grandma.  It was neat to see how many people spend the day at the cemetery honoring their loved ones.  Loving and missing you David.  every. single. day.

No comments:

Post a Comment