Pages

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Dear David

Dear David,

Today I met Rick for the first time, the “other driver” from that terrible morning of December 9.  When I heard about the arraignment two weeks ago, I once again put myself in his shoes and could only imagine his heartache and pain.  I really prayed and thought long and hard about what I thought you might want me to say to this man-someone you actually knew a little bit from work.  I feel like you have told me that the only things you want me to show him are compassion, concern and love. 

I didn’t want him to see us in the courtroom and be unsure of my feelings.  And I was worried that when I did meet him my emotions might get in the way of what I wanted to be sure and say.  So, I sent him a letter last week to hopefully put some of his fears aside.  Here is some of what my letter said:

Dear Rick,

I have thought of you often and prayed for your burdens to be lifted through our Savior, Jesus Christ.  I know that through him, we can be truly forgiven for all of our mistakes.  I want you to know that I feel nothing but love, compassion, and concern for you and your family.

My brother David is one of the kindest and most gentle people I know.  He was quick to forgive others and never pretended to be perfect.  One of the things I love about him is how he tried to learn from his mistakes and was always trying to be a better person.  I feel like many of the promptings I have received concerning forgiving you, have come from him.  I feel like he wants you to move forward so that you can use your life to bless to those dear to you. 

Words cannot adequately express the impact of David’s death has been on all of us.  Our family is healing-one day at a time.  As can be expected, some days are better than others.  I am trying my best to cherish life a little bit more and hug my family a little tighter. 

I am so grateful for temple covenants that will make it possible for me to be with my sweet little brother again someday.  I know you wish as deeply as I do that none of this ever happened.  I am so very sorry for the pain you have been through since that horrific day.  

Liz, Kevan and I went to the courthouse together, not really sure what to expect.  We were able to meet Rick briefly before we went into the actual meeting.  I feel like we were all able to heal just a little bit more from our few minutes together.  Rick is grieving so much for all the pain he feels he has caused us.  I am so thankful for the experience we’ve had to get to know him a little bit better and hopefully ease some of his burdens.  Thank you for being patient with me as I try to follow the promptings you seem to send every once in a while. 

I love you with all my heart and miss you so much,

Laura

3 comments:

  1. David is so pleased with what went on in that room! Another reason your name came to me that terrible morning. Thank you for listening to the spirit and to David!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last couple of days I have been thinking of David so much. Somedays I think it does not hurt as much and then I look at the pictures on this website and I miss him so much and begin to cry like a baby. I think of our late night talks and how we would make each other laugh - and his goofy little smile. David - I love you so much!

    ReplyDelete