Pages

Friday, November 8, 2013

Before and After, by Jimae

Before and After
by Jimae Kenney, Mom

Forever the demarcation
In the life that I call mine
The day to day occurrences
Before and after on that line.

Before we were a family
Held together by joy and love.
Our day to day activities
Appreciation for gifts from above.

Before I was always focused
On what to do today-
What time do I have to be there
And what do I need to say?

I felt like I was in the service
Of my family and fellow man.
I was good at what I committed to
Completing tasks and caring for others
Almost faster than I ran.

After life was forever changed
We were still a family unit
But the depth and breadth of our understanding
Were magnified in our comprehension of it.

The heavy scent of flowers-
The sounds of bagpipe strains-
The cold and ice of winter
Bring back the empty pains.

Especially now at Halloween
Your favorite time of year-
The tricks and jokes you were up to
Leaving us all to fear.

Oh the memories of your spirit
How caring and loving you were.
And now you’re gone we hold inside
The warmth of your strength so sure.

And with that comes a peace,
A stillness in our hearts-
Though broken, they are stilled
A song that cries within our parts.

Before I had thirty two years
Now, after is only two
My continuum of understanding
And memories of you

Encourage me to continue
To go forth each and every day
With renewed understanding of the plan of life
And constantly in my heart I pray

For understanding of the truth
Of knowledge that is our sacrifice in seeing-
As we release our beloved son To the Heavens
Of our father and brother of greater being.

So, is this how our Heavenly Father felt
When he gave his only begotten son?
Did the grief and pain underlie
All that is ever done?

After
So, now today, I often wonder
Did I teach you all that you needed to know
To get through time and eternity
And what to do so you will continue to grow?

Did you learn what you needed to be?
Truth be told, upon that day –
Two years ago our life was forever altered
Now all of us can say

We are to take these things we know-
Those things we need to do
To be the people on this earth

To act in place of you.

1 comment: