Pages

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Abigail the Peace Maker

I've been studying the Old Testament the last few months and have been learning quite a bit! Don't misunderstand - i'm not a "scriptorian" of any sort - in fact I get distracted and miss the point quite often. Because of this weakness, I have taken to reading books about the scriptures while concurrently reading the actual scriptures to help me understand what I am suppose to be learning. These books are so wonderful! I am so glad that someone out there understands the scriptures better than I and can explain them to me. 


The book I chose to help me understand the Old Testament is The Hidden Christ by James L. Ferrell (also the author of The Peacegiver). In my recent reading, I came across a lesson I must have missed in Sunday School and seminary. But I'm glad I've learned it now and wanted to share it with you all on David's blog. I think you'll see by the end how they are related. 


In the Old Testament there is a story about King David (before he was king), a wealthy shepherd named Nabal and his wife Abigail. Their story illustrates forgiveness and the atonement. But it's not about obtaining forgiveness for ourselves from our Savior. It's about forgiving others in our lives who offend us and do harm to us - whether they ask for the forgiveness or not. 



David, who is not yet king, has been in the wilderness (hiding from King Saul) with his many followers and soldiers. They have been protecting the area and their presence has made the area grow in abundance because of the protection they provide. One day David sends a small group of servants to Nabal, a wealthy shepherd in the area, to ask for provisions. Their request includes a high amount of respect for Nabal as a noble person with high honor. In turn, Nabal, who knew exactly who David was, insults him and questions his lineage. David takes it personally and decides to take vengeance on Nabal. 

Abigail is Nabal's wife. She hears about what is happening through a servant and realizes she must intervene in her husbands behalf. She knows her husband has been ungrateful, and gathers up the supplies David requested - and more - to make an offering to him. When she reaches David she says to him "upon me, my lord, upon me let this iniquity be . . . forgive the trespass of thine handmaid". 

Abigail delivered to David all that he needed and more, thereby atoning for Nabal's sin. She then took Nabal's sin on her own head when she pleaded, "upon me let this iniquity be" and then pleaded for forgiveness "of thine handmaid". She had done no wrong yet asked for the mistreated person to forgive HER - not Nabal, the actual perpetrator. In her mind, Nabal's sin was now hers. She had taken it upon her, claiming it as her own. 

Because of Abigails intervention, David is able to see the situation for what it is and avoids making a terrible mistake - taking vengeance upon Nabal, therefore committing an "offence of heart" that would keep him from receiving "all the good that the Lord had spoken concerning him."

This is where the lesson lies - Abigail is in similitude of Christ.

She atoned for the wrong committed by another person.
She provided all that was needed to him who was wronged.
She took the sinners iniquity upon herself - even though she herself was innocent.
She plead to the avenger to give up vengeance.
She is the means of delivering peace. 

Abigail reminds us that not only has Christ suffered for our sins, but he also atoned for the sins of others against us. The Lord offers us who have been harmed by others the help we need to be made whole. When someone does wrong to us, we have a choice to make. Forgive, or not forgive. If we chose not to forgive we develop feelings we are commanded not to harbor: anger, resentment, despair, etc. The sin is now upon our heads.  

"Forgive, and ye shall be forgiven."

Brother Ferrell teaches us "If we ourselves are not merciful toward others, and fail to forgive them from our hearts, we will be delivered to "the tormentors" as was the unmerciful servant in the Lord's parable. Since our only hope for salvation is the Lord's mercy, we fail to extend mercy at our own peril."

"Although the Lord doesn't actually ask us to forgive him, the effect of the Atonement is such that it's as if that is what he is asking. "Inasmuch as ye have done it [or not done it] unto one of the least of these ... ye have done it [or not done it] unto me." When we withhold forgiveness from others, we are in effect saying that the Atonement alone was not enough. We are holding out for more. We are finding fault with the Lord's offering. We are, in essence, demanding that the Lord repent of an insufficient atonement. So when we fail to forgive another, it is as if we are failing to forgive the Lord - who, of course, needs no forgiving."

There have been times in my life where I've needed to forgive someone who has hurt me (and I'm sure I've hurt other people who I hope have forgiven me) - but until last December I've never truly understood this type of forgiveness. It has been one of those pivotal moments in life where we've had to either embrace the gospel we have been taught or turn against it and pretend it doesn't have an effect on us. 

We may not have all the answers now, but as Alma teaches us - a small amount of faith can carry us a long way. This must be true with forgiveness too! It may be impossible for us right now to completely forgive everyone of everything. But we must be making steps towards it. We should plant that seed of forgiveness in our hearts to those who have brought us so much pain and allow it to grow - let the Savior's Atonement do the rest.

I'll close this post with more from Brother Ferrell: "The Savior's love can pierce the darkest sky. His Atonement is the answer to every bit of turmoil in our souls. Envy, vengefulness, anger, bitterness, callousness -- all are swallowed up in him whom we have mistreated the most. Whatever we may see in others that troubles us, he calls: "Upon me let this iniquity be." In his call is love. In his call is forgiveness. In his call is peace."


2 comments:

  1. Liz I love this story. Thanks for helping me remember. I love your new quest for gospel knowledge. It's inspiring. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post so much, just re-reading it today just because. Thank you Liz!

    ReplyDelete