Pages

Monday, December 10, 2012

Cherishing our Husbands....from Ashley Gates

Husbands do wonderful things for their families. They often work hard at their job during the week and then come home to wrestle and play with the kids. Some week nights he spends watching the kids so that I can serve in my calling or go to a girl’s night. Mine spends Saturdays doing service for families in the ward, yard work, projects around the house, or fun family activities. 

Today, December 10, 2012 marks the one year anniversary of the death of our sweet cousin David Kenney. Now I did not personally spend any quality time with David, but from hearing stories from his family and friends, I know he was a wonderful man, husband, and father. Today also marks the 6 year anniversary of the death of Sam Hawkins, a dear friend of ours from our time in Maryland. He was also a wonderful husband and father. While we lived close to their family, Sam was in law school and this was before Chuck’s law school. I can remember Chuck talking to Sam about what law school was like and his desire to go.  Sam was sworn in as a lawyer just weeks before his death while undergoing treatment for his cancer that was diagnosed just a few months after law school graduation.

I wanted to spend today honoring these husbands by serving my husband, doing work that would be meaningful to him. I decided to focus on our yard because Chuck enjoys making our yard and garden beautiful. Since it is winter, work needed to be done pruning and cleaning up dying plants. In our front yard I trimmed and cleaned around the lamp post and mailbox.  I then worked on our garden area. I cleaned out the dead plants, cleaned up the support posts, and washed out pots. I only got half of the garden area finished and will need to finish another day. I moved on to our flower garden area.  I pulled out the dead branches and pruned the rose bushes. I also wound up a few hoses that had been left out in piles in the yard.

As I did this work for a few hours today, I tried to focus on my husband and how much I love all the hard work he does for me and our family at work and at our home. I thought of Cris and Kira and the love that they each have for their husbands that are no longer with them on this earth.  I’m going to hug my husband a little tighter today. I’m going to focus on all the wonderful things he does for me and try to serve him more often.
 

 

1 comment:

  1. This is so beautiful Ashley, thank you for sharing it with us. It is exactly the kind of things we hoped people would be inspired to do because of David's death.
    I also want to thank you again for sending your husband out to us so quickly and for so long when we needed him last year. We are forever grateful to you both.
    Love,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete