Pages

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

EFY fun . . . from Amy

Dear David and Family,

When I first received the notification about our “Gift of Service,” I was very excited!  I love serving others, it totally ROCKS!

At the time the when I received the email, I was swamped at work, but it was always not far from my mind.  I got an email from a fellow employee that she was having a raffle for “Make A Wish” foundation (www.wish.org).  It is a
wonderful program that I have volunteered with before.  They grant wishes to children with “life threatening” medical conditions.  Our cousin Carol Joy Knapp received a wish many years ago through this program.  I thought, I don’t have much extra time, but I really want to do something, I will just buy a ticket or two and if I win, I will give it to Aunt Jimae and Uncle Bruce. 

Well…I WON!

I won a free cruise for two on Holland America!  I called Jimae and told her my story and I think she was in a bit of shock.  She talked to Bruce (I think at first he thought it was a Hoax).  They had just bought tickets to go to Hawaii to visit Ben for the holidays.  They felt that as they had just purchased tickets to go to Hawaii, they didn’t have the time to take off between now and the end of the year (when the cruise must be used).

It is a tough assignment but I will take the cruise :>  But I still want to do something so I talked to Jimae about an idea that I had.  Last year Darcy, my daughter, participated in EFY Stay At Home program.  It offers an opportunity for the youth to stay at home at night but during the day, go to EFY.  It is significantly cheaper then the regular EFY program.  Darcy went to the Sandy, UT program last year.  She loved it!  I thought it would be fun if all the cousins went to it together and stayed at Aunt Jimae and Uncle Bruce’s’ home at night.  Jimae agreed and I told her I would set it up.  I would also give Ben’s daughter or daughter’s (if they wanted to) a guest pass guest pass to come and attend too (FYI Alaska Airlines will start flying to SLC the Thursday before April general conference).

So, calling all cousins, 14-18 years of age: let’s do EFY together!  They don’t have the schedule yet but if you will send me the dates of your Girls Camps/Scout Camps etc, when they announce the dates, we will do it!

Love and Miss you!

3 comments:

  1. Yep were pretty much in. Lydia wont be 14 yet, but Maisie is all over it....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this so much! Thank you Amy! (maybe Lydia could use her ticket for Retreat?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE THIS IDEA! Aw man! What fun that will be!

    ReplyDelete