Pages

Saturday, December 1, 2012

Temple Trip . . . from Alex

For any who are reading this blog who aren't familiar with what happens within LDS temples, let me summarize with this quote from mormon.org

In the temple, members:
  • Learn eternal truths.
  • Receive sacred ordinances, including those that bind husband and wife together for eternity, as well as join children and parents (Malachi 4:5-6).
  • Provide ordinances such as baptism for those who have died without the opportunity to receive the gospel of Jesus Christ. (1 Corinthians 15:29); 1 Peter 4:6)

The service I did in Davids name was to gather as many of our family as possible, and go serve in the temple with our Grandpa. A little over a year before Davids accident we did something similar together. My cousin Caleb, David, Grandpa, and myself all went to the temple together. I will always remember how proud Grandpa was to be there with 3 of his grandchildren. Several times he would pull a temple worker aside and say to them "You see those 3 men over there? They are here  with ME." 

It was a really great experience for all of us, and I've always wanted to repeat the experience with even MORE of Grandpa's progeny. We tried to arrange another trip about a month before David's accident but it fell through. During the week of David's death and funeral, family began flying in from all over the country, and I knew I had an opportunity to repeat the experience with those who didn't live in Utah. We had a large turnout of cousins who joined with Grandpa, but the mood of the week had us all in a somber spirit.

When tasked with coming up with a service to do in David's name, I wanted it to be something that specifically reminded me of him, and this was just the thing. So it was, that on Saturday November 17th, my Grandpa was surrounded with family as we entered the Jordan River temple to serve together. 

What I expected was to feel like David and Grandma were right there with us, and feel a distinct connection while serving in the temple. What I got was different. I felt the spirit of the work we were doing, and a closeness to those I was serving there with. While I did feel the presence of David and those from the other side, I also knew that they were engaged in work of their own. 

It was still a wonderful experience. I saw how happy Grandpa was to have 12 of his descendants there in the Celestial room with him and I know it will be something he will treasure for the rest of his life. As for me, I was glad I could strengthen the bonds we have with family here on earth, while also doing service for those who have passed on. 



1 comment:

  1. I'm so grateful you did this service Alex. Truly meaningful to David and Grandpa for sure. I hope I can join you next time. Happy Birthday!!

    ReplyDelete