Pages

Friday, November 30, 2012

David's little sister ... from Cindy

I joined this family in 2007.  I only have 4 years of personal memories with David.  Far less years than all siblings and most of our nieces and nephews.  I knew long before I met David while I was dating Alex, that Alex was really close to him.  My husband is the youngest of 6 children.  David was #5, and they are 5 years apart.  Alex has by far more growing up memories with David.  David was the first of Alex's siblings I met.  I flew in to SLC from Kentucky, where I was living that summer.  We went over to David and Cristina's house and played Settlers and talked.  It was a great night.  Alex was excited for David and I to meet.  I could tell from that night how close these two brothers are.  

David, Cristina, and Josh came up to Rexburg, ID to visit us one weekend.  I made everyone breakfast both mornings they were there.  David kept complimenting the food I made.  It felt so appreciated.  We showed them around Rexburg, when David and Alex decided to 'trick' Josh.  David was holding Josh up on his shoulders as we were walking through the BYU-I campus, but then Alex and David switched it up -- Alex being the one to hold Josh on his shoulders.  When Josh realized he saw his dad behind him rather than under him, he panicked with confusion.  It was pretty funny.  We bought this new game none of us had played or heard before.  Killer Bunnies.  We spent the rest of the afternoon figuring the game out and playing it.  

One night, Alex and David (and families) were hanging out at Mom and Dad's.  And the idea came out of going on a big trip together.  We were deciding between Hawaii or Florida, to visit our niece Lexi working at Disney World.  We decided to go with Florida.  It was fun planning this somewhat last second big trip, and so glad we have these memories together with Mom, Lexi, David's family, and the Vierra's.  




There are many memories of Alex and I sleeping over at David's, (both houses) playing games, and hanging out with each other.  I encouraged Alex to go to David's about once a month to play games together after moving back to Utah, and I am so grateful he has those last memories with his brother.  One time, we went over to David's for dinner, and at the table David said, "I'll say the prayer" and then all of a sudden Alex started saying the prayer!  David and I looked at each other at the beginning of the prayer smiling as we realized Alex thought David said, "Al say the prayer."  

These last 2 years life has been particularly challenging for Alex and I.  Moments of discouragement has often been felt between us.  Many of the times hanging out with David, when talking about what we're all up to, I remember David pointing out the positive and telling Alex, "That's great Al!"  It was nice to hear some encouragement from David -- and often this past year, I reflect on David watching us and whispering to Alex, "That's great Al!" as he said so many times to him.  

I am pregnant with our 2nd child.  This will be the first child born in the Kenney prosperity since David's passing.  I have felt David near me in my thoughts during this pregnancy.  A Kenney child will soon be leaving our Heavenly Father's arms, and I know David is aware of this accompanying me by my side -- he is our child's uncle!   I don't know if David is with this child as this child prepares to leave for Earth soon, but he has certainly been near me.  David loves this child as he loves all of us.  We are starting our family out the exact way David did: A boy first and then a girl!  

I want to participate in a Sub for Santa or some similar kind of gift giving program to families in need each year.  I want this to pay-it-forward by honoring David's friends from Institute that gave David's family a Christmas during a difficult time when they were in need and give to other families in need. 


2 comments:

  1. I love these memories Cindy! I'm so glad you guys took that trip to Florida. Thank you for sharing. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice tribute and reminder to us to treasure the times we can share with our loved ones. Thank you Cindy.

    ReplyDelete