Pages

Monday, November 19, 2012

Dear David, From Mitzi


Dear David,

You were 2 years younger then me but only a year behind me in school. Although I hung out mostly with Laura, we still had lots of fun together - especially in high school. While going through some boxes after our move, I found a bunch of letters that you had written to me back in high school when we were pen pals. I laughed and cried as I read them. It was funny to go back and read what we talked about. A little about how you were taking guitar lessons, a little about how you had just joined BMG and got your first shipment of CD's, a little about how you were going to run for a student body officer. I had to laugh when you called uncle Tim and old fart for talking you out of driving somewhere to visit girls.

You also talked about how you ran at regionals for cross-country and got first place for Highland J.V.  You were always about improving yourself. In high school you didn't like that you were getting overweight so you decided to join the track team. And a little while later, you were taking first place!


This is where I took my encouragement from when Liz and Laura challenged us to do something in honor of David. I decided that I too was a little sick of carrying a little extra baby weight so I decided to run a 1/2 marathon. My dad has always talked about running a marathon so I talked him into joining me (didn't have to talk him into it too much since he was practically training for it on his mission). My brother-in-law Hock decided to join us as well. It was such a great experience. It took so much hard work and dedication, but I did it! I never could have done it w/o Hock! I would be the one in the team to wake us up for the early runs and he would be the one to keep me running once we got up! It was a good partnership. About once a week I would run with my phone and earphones while talking to dad while he was running. It was a great bonding experience with my dad too. 

To close, I just want to write a few things that were at the end of David's letters. He was always such a positive kid.  I love these phrases b/c I can hear him saying each of them in my head:

Remember...Attitude is everything!
Always Smile!
Don't change for the world,
Always Smile and MPH! (Make People Happy!)

I love you David James!






1 comment:

  1. Thank you Mitzi, I loved reading about your memories of David, and your service. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete