Pages

Monday, November 26, 2012

Christ-like, from Nick


It’s been a long time coming and way overdue but I have finally brought myself around to post on David’s blog. To be honest, I don’t know where to begin. It still hurts sooo much knowing that he’s not on this earth anymore. David was in every essence of the word, my Brother, in fact when we introduced ourselves to someone new we would sometimes introduce ourselves as such. Dave and I met after he moved in 2 doors down from me over 7 years ago and we hit it off right away. David was the one friend that I knew would be part of my life, for the rest of my life. He’s the one I figured that I would sit down on the porch with when we were in our golden years to tell our grand kids stories of our childhood and teach them about life; but all that was erased almost 1 year ago.



Dave was much more to me than a friend, a best friend or a brother. He was an example, a teacher and an inspiration. To say that I miss him is an understatement and I can’t even write this posting without tears still welling up in my eyes. After David’s accident, life has been much different for me. Dave and I spoke practically every day and saw each other almost as much. I try to honor his memory, by being the best human being I can be. I can only think of how kind, understanding and selfless he was and how much I learned from him just by being next him. That’s what made him such an extraordinary person. He never imposed himself or his ideas on anyone, he was simply being himself, and by doing that, anyone who knew him, became a better person. It was this quiet dignity, this humbleness and meekness, which made him so much like our redeemer, Jesus Christ. I can, without a doubt say, that Dave was the most Christ-like person I have ever known, and for that I am grateful.



I think another reason David and I got along so well, is the fact that inside, we were both just big kids, trust me, I know this because our wives would constantly tell us! I loved how Dave never lost his sense of childhood wonder and amazement. He loved all children, especially his and they loved him. I remember how much I loved hanging out with Dave because I knew that at some point or another, there was a good chance we were playing some sort of game. Whether it was hide-and-seek with a bunch of other adults in his house with all the lights turned off, or playing childish pranks on our wives, we always had a great time. We played like children play, and we loved it! I remember how he would come up with these cockamamie schemes just like I remember doing when I was just a small kid and how that would just take me right back to my childhood. David still had that childhood imagination; it was never ending and never seized to amaze me. This childlike innocence also made Dave very Christ-like in my eyes.



I remember visiting New York with Dave. That was a whirlwind trip! The trip lasted for just over 24 hours and we managed to see all of New York’s major tourist attractions. From the Statue of Liberty to Central Park, and of course a visit to the flagship Apple Store! I remember his sense of amazement at all the tall buildings, but more than anything I remember how grateful he was to be in a place he’d always wanted to visit. Something that stands out from that trip was his never ending thirst for knowledge in how things worked. I remember him asking questions about the Statue of Liberty to our Statue of Liberty tour guide and about how it was built and asking me about New York’s Subway system and I remember thinking; this guy is such a “mechanical engineer”. I was so happy I was able to make that trip together with Dave. I’m grateful for his love, I feel it every time I think of him or something reminds me of him. I love Dave, and will always treasure all the memories I have with him. He’s the most caring and loving friend and brother anyone could ever hope to have and I was blessed enough to know him.



In this month of Thanksgiving, I am eternally grateful to our father in heaven for putting Dave in my life. As I said in my talk at his funeral, I may have lost a brother in this life, but I gained a family. I am grateful to the Kenney family for their love and for welcoming me and my family into theirs. Words cannot adequately express my love for Dave or his family and I hope that this small contribution makes someone who reads it, smile. I am also eternally grateful to Dave for his friendship and love. Thanks to Dave, my life has in fact been changed forever. I only hope that I can be more Christ-like in my life…more like my brother Dave.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing these memories with us. I don't think I knew about your NYC trip, that's so awesome. And thank you for all of the support you have given us all this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for writing this Nick, I'm sure it wasn't easy. I know Dave still loves you and watches over your little family. We're happy to have adopted you!

    ReplyDelete