Pages

Sunday, December 9, 2012

How Can You Be Gone? . . . love, your mother




How Can You Be Gone?

How can you be gone today
When the sun is shining so bright?
There's holiday decorations and
Music and fantasy in lights.

How can you be gone this past
Month of serious celebration?
Halloween, Birthdays and Thanksgiving
All of which you considered worthy of your dedication.

How can you be gone now
For a year, I've been very worried
About how the anniversary and the holidays
Would happen with everything else so hurried.

How can you be gone
As at your picture I often gaze
And when I reach out to touch you
Your smile always stays.

How can you be gone now
When the prize I've found I've won
Is to still be able to look in your eyes
Which are really those of your son.

And oh the memory of laughter
Of giggles and lots of fun
Those I still hear regularly
As Jasmine keeps us on the run.

The time is now, and now is here
And as a family we face
A new year to encounter
And yet recall the saving grace-

Not only the meaning of the atonement
And redemption for those still living
But of your love and willingness
To serve others, in the ways you were always so giving.

So very many of us still living
Accepted a challenge for this year.
One to remember you and make you proud
A stretch goal we may all fear.

Something, since you are not on earth
To others do unto them-
Something that we could do instead
But from your influence it may stem.

For me it took a little time
And quiet contemplation
Of what would I most make you proud
And worthy of this occasion.
Of course the very first thing
Was to draw nearer to our Father and his son.
Nothing new was required,
But continued persistence in the course that we have run.

Your Dad and I planned how we could be better
At personal prayer, scripture study and temple attendance.
Then there was the service part – for us to
Continue in our callings that required our acceptance.

Next, I thought about what would be meaningful
To my son, his wife and his children.
What could I continue in his stead
What of his hobbies could be done?

Ah, ha! The train – that was the thing
That brought the children running.
Oh, for a ride in that really cool train
Was something that could be quite stunning.

So I began to book the summer
The word was out and I watched
As bookings started coming in
A chance to share what you loved.

For the church, both ward and stake
For Birthday parties, schools and work.
Even a memorial run for another-
Another child that He took.

It wasn't always easy to keep the commitments I'd made
But on and on the summer progressed,
Between my brother Dan, Spencer, Bruce and our friend Wes
Many childrens lives were blessed.

One more area I wanted to focus on
That of truly serving others-
The opportunity came thru IHC
To participate in a project of serving our brothers.

We made bologna and cheese sandwiches
Five hundred of them that day.
That's a lot of bologna!
Was about all that we could say.

And then when they were wrapped and boxed
We delivered them to the soup kitchen.
There we donned hair nets, aprons and gloves
And were ready to enrichen....

The lives of the many homeless
Not just men, but women and their children.
What a lesson in humility for us
One that will not quickly be forgotten.


We tried not to let the tears show through
At the hopelessness of others-
Why are we so very blessed
Is it only in the gospel that we are brothers?

And so again I ask
How can you be gone?
So very, very far away
And oh, for so very long.

A year has past and my prayer is that
I will remember every hour of every day
Of every month and every year
How often you would come and say-

“I love you Mom and I love you Dad
Thank you for everything.”
And then you'd be the example
Of Christ in the actions of your being.

How good you were to everyone
That you encountered in your short life
The children, the aged, the blind and the poor.
Those with misfortune at birth or in strife.

All were your friends, welcome in your home-
Each soul that you would encounter.
Where you continued to live the example of him
In serving the least of these, your brothers.

As a child of God, with his plan in mind
I want to continue to try
To live his commandments that we may abide
In Heaven, together, after I die.

You served your Lord while on this earth
And now my challenge I see
Is to follow the example that you set
That we may live eternally.











3 comments:

  1. Thank you Mom and Dad for your example of faith, love and service this past year. I love you so much, and I know David is grateful for your service in all of these ways--probably mostly for all you have done to keep his family going this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Sister, I cry at your loss and your pain. But know that you have also been added a gift from your Mother now on the other side with David, to express such heartfelt feelings into beautiful poetry. They are close to us. We feel them and know they are near when we need them most. I'm grateful for that knowledge that we are all an eternal family and will all be together one day.

    ReplyDelete